Opening a Bank Account for your Local Body

Do what thou wilt shall be the whole of the Law.

Each Lodge and Oasis should have its own bank account in which to keep its funds, typically a business checking account in the name of the local body. For small Camps with little income, this is typically not practical. But for any body which handles a significant amount of money from initiations or donations, a checking account in the name of the body has many advantages. The most important reason to maintain a separate bank account is to keep the funds of the body clearly separate from the Master or Treasurer's personal funds. This makes the accounting much easier and helps to eliminate confusion. If a camp does need a bank account, this can be accomplished by having the body master open a separate personal account dedicated to the camp. The bank may even allow the name of the camp to appear on the checks, as if the camp were a DBA of the master. But it will not be a business account solely in the camp's name because the camp does not have its own Articles of Association.

To obtain a bank account, visit several banks in your area and ask about opening an account for your body. You can describe it to them as a local chapter of a national non-profit organization. Some banks may waive the monthly service charge for non-profit groups, although this is becoming increasingly rare. Your bank may want some documentation of your non-profit status. Your Lodge or Oasis Articles of Association indicate that your body is a duly chartered local body of Ordo Templi Orientis USA, a non-profit religious corporation which is tax-exempt under IRS code section 501(c)3.

Some banks offer "club" or "lodge" accounts designed for groups such as ours at little or no cost, so be sure to ask if you qualify for this type of account.

The bank will tell you what it requires for you to open the account. For example, this might include some kind of resolution from your "board of directors" - in this case, the officers of your body. Many banks will have a form for this already made up for you to fill in the blanks and sign. If not, they should be able to tell you what language they require in such a resolution. A typical resolution might look like this.

Finally, the bank will almost always require you to provide a Federal Tax ID number (sometimes known as a TIN or EIN) for the body. Lodges and Oases should use the EIN they have already obtained. This is not the Tax ID of the OTO USA Corporation. If you do not have an EIN, please contact the GTG.

That's all there is to it! If you run into any problems, please contact the GTG for assistance. Any feedback you might have about your experience in opening a bank account for your body is also welcome.

Love is the law, love under will.